Job Vacancy: Animal Caregiver – Full Time / Hourly
Do you love animals? Want to be part of a team that makes a difference?
Apply to be an Animal Caregiver at the IPPL sanctuary
The International Primate Protection League (IPPL) in Summerville, SC is seeking a full-time Animal Caregiver to join our team. Our team provides for the daily care and welfare of the 33 gibbons and 6 otters in residence at the IPPL sanctuary as well as two lovable dogs. Animal Caregivers must be proactive, flexible, and able to work independently and as part of a team. We have an immediate opening for a highly motivated and professional Animal Caregiver who is a great communicator.
Animal Caregiver Major Duties :
- Assist senior caregivers in performing a variety of tasks associated with the proper care, feeding, housing, and management of animals in residence at the sanctuary.
- Report in a timely manner all animal health and welfare and sanctuary facility needs that arise to the Sanctuary Manager or his/her designee.
- Clean and disinfect animal enclosures, outdoor habitats and related facilities by hosing, sweeping, scrubbing, raking, and other cleaning methods; remove waste, unconsumed food, and other material.
Animal Caregiver Primary Tasks :
Working under the direction and supervision of senior caregivers, the incumbent’s daily tasks will include:
- Clean, scrub, and disinfect indoor enclosures, outdoor habitats, and associated structures, and regularly check aerial tunnels for debris or waste
- Prepare and serve diets
- Monitor the health and welfare of resident animals
- Prepare, deliver, maintain, and document the use of approved enrichment items.
- Maintain, repair, and landscape outdoor habitats
- Maintain, repair, and furnish indoor enclosures
- Maintain complete and accurate records about animal residents, work duties, etc.
- Learn the histories and behaviors of each animal resident at the sanctuary
- Attend staff meetings regularly
- Perform other duties as assigned
Animal Caregiver Qualifications:
Requirements: Applicants must be US citizens or have a valid US work permit and be fluent in written and spoken English. Applicants must also possess a valid driver’s license. The Animal Caregiver work schedule is Mon-Sun, inclusive of holidays and the incumbent may be assigned to any day or evening shift. Successful completion of Animal Caregiver training within 90 days is required. The incumbent must receive scheduled immunizations and is subject to regular medical screening.
Education: A high school diploma is required; some college is preferred. A college degree in biological anthropology, biology, conservation, ethology, zoology or related field is a plus.
Experience: Applicants must have at least six (6) months of experience working with animals in a sanctuary or similar setting; familiarity with primates is a plus.
Special application instructions
How to apply: Email cover letter and resume to email@example.com
No phone calls. Thanks!
The gibbons and otters keep us extra busy. Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
IPPL is an Equal Opportunity Employer